November is here at last, and with Thanksgiving just a few weeks away, it’s the perfect time to talk about thank you notes.
Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays that we celebrate in the United States, and it’s not just because of the mouth-watering turkey, delicious stuffing or melt-in-your-mouth sweet potatoes. What really makes Thanksgiving a great holiday is the sentiment behind it. Unlike many other holidays, Thanksgiving isn’t about self-gratification. It’s about being thankful, which is something that doesn’t seem to happen often enough in this day and age. Here at Worcester Envelope Company, we understand the power of being thankful, and we believe that one of the best ways to show your appreciation is to send thank you notes and letters to your friends and family. That’s why we’ve come up with this guide on thank you notes.
Why are thank you notes so important?
Thank you notes aren’t just a tradition set forth by Miss Manners; writing a thank you note is a meaningful way to express your gratitude. Whether someone close to you has given you a gift that you are thankful for or you just wish to show your gratitude for simply being there when you need them, there’s no better way to do so than by sending a thank you note.
There’s a reason why your parents always pestered you about sending thank you notes when you were a kid, even if you said thank you in person. The fact of the matter is that sitting down and writing your thanks is much more meaningful than just saying thanks in person or over the phone. Not only does it give you a chance to express how much you liked the gift (or whatever you are thankful for), it also gives the receiver a tangible item to hold onto that represents your appreciation.
“Sending a thank you note essentially accomplishes two goals: it helps you say thanks, and it creates a lasting, positive impression on the receiver.”
When should you send a thank you note?
There is never an inappropriate time to send a thank you note, but here is a list of a few common situations when a thank you note may be necessary:
- You received a gift – Whether you’ve received a gift for your wedding, baby shower, graduation or birthday, a thank you note is always appreciated and, in many cases, expected.
- You had a job interview – When it comes to applying and interviewing for a job, the competition can be fierce. Many people are looking for good jobs, and sending a thank you note after an interview is a great way to set yourself apart from other candidates.
- You established a professional contact – While you don’t necessarily need to send a thank you note to every single person who gives you their business card, it’s good form to do so when you establish a meaningful business contact.
- You get support in your personal life – Life is full of ups and downs, and having a good support system in place to get you through the tough moments in life is essential. Sending the people who support you thank you notes is a great way to show them how grateful you are for their emotional support.
- You get a leg-up in your career – In many industries, it’s not about what you do or the experience you have; it’s about who you know. When someone gives you a leg up in your career, it can be life changing and definitely deserving of a thank you note.
Why is it important to write thank you notes by hand and from the heart?
When most people write letters, they’ll typically type them out, and while this is okay in most cases, you should never type out a thank you note. Regardless of the occasion, thank you notes should always be handwritten. Typing doesn’t take a lot of time, and it can also be impersonal. When you write handwritten thank you notes, on the other hand, it shows the receiver that you are so grateful that you’ve taken the time to actually sit down and write out your thank you by hand. If you are worried about spelling things wrong or making other mistakes while writing out your note, practice on a scrap of paper! This will help you decide what to say and how to say it, and it will help you present a clean, error-free thank you note. Keep in mind that, while the content of the thank you card should be handwritten, it’s okay to use a sticker or a stamp to address the envelope.
The other rule of writing thank you notes is to express yourself from the heart. A big part of what makes thank you notes so special is the thought that goes into them, and if you simply scribble a vague thank you, that personal touch may not come across. Regardless of what you are thankful for, whether it be big or small, you should always compose your thank you notes from the heart.
As long as your thank you notes are handwritten and from the heart, it really doesn’t matter whether you write them out on beautiful stationary or a piece of notebook paper. When it comes to thank you notes, it’s truly the thought that counts the most. However, if you are writing thank you notes because of an interview or the help of a professional contact, keep it professional!
Are you ready to start sending thank you notes to your loved ones?
If so, you’ve come to the right place. Here at Worcester Envelope Company, we have all of the envelopes you need. Whether you are looking for large or small envelopes, bulk or custom-printed envelopes, we’ve got you covered. In our next blog, we’ll be going over the rules of etiquette involving thank you notes, as well as a few tips for sending meaningful and effective thank you notes. Please make sure that you stay tuned for our next blog to learn more, and shop with us online today to get the envelopes you need!