Want to enjoy all of the benefits that come with making your direct mail marketing campaign more environmentally friendly?
If so, you’ve come to the right place. As your premier source for direct mail solutions, there’s no better company to turn to when you want to enhance your direct mail marketing campaign. In our latest blog, we went over some of the many benefits that you could enjoy by making your direct mail campaign more environmentally friendly, and if you haven’t had a chance to read it yet, now is a great time to check it out! Keep reading to learn expert tips for a greener direct mail marketing campaign:
#1. Consider the materials you use.
To make your campaign more environmentally friendly, one of the best places to start is with the materials you use.
- Paper – There are many options when it comes to the paper you choose to use, but one of the best options for environmentally conscious businesses is recycled paper. However, green options go well beyond recycled paper, and if you choose the right kind of paper, like that made of sugar cane or other wood alternatives, you can buy your paper new and still do your part. There are also biodegradable options out there. Additionally, window envelopes are more easily recycled than non-window envelopes, and they can help with open rates, too, making them a great option.
- Ink – Believe it or not, the ink that you choose to use can affect how easily your paper can be recycled. Some inks are toxic, whereas others are simply more difficult to strip off of the paper. If you want to choose an ink that makes recycling easy and is less polluting to Mother Nature, choose one that is soy, water or otherwise agri-based.
- Adhesives – In addition to the paper and ink, it’s also important to consider the adhesives that help the address label and stamp to stick, and make it possible to seal the envelope shut. There aren’t really any green alternatives for adhesives, however, you can minimize the use of them on your mailers. For instance, instead of using address labels and stamps, print the address and postage directly onto the envelope. There are also alternative opening/closing options you can take advantage of.
#2. Combine your direct mail campaign with your other marketing efforts.
In a previous blog, we talked about the benefits of choosing direct mail marketing over email marketing, and if you had to choose one or the other, we think you’d be better off putting your money into direct mail. However, the beauty is that you don’t have to choose one or the other. In fact, when you are able to combine your efforts from both campaigns, it can help you to be much more successful all around. But, how does this make your direct mail campaign more environmentally friendly? It allows you to use powerful features, like QR codes, that make it possible to minimize the size of your mailers. You can also prompt your readers to respond to your direct mail offers by going to your website, following you on social media or even texting you a coupon code — all of which eliminate the need for your reader to send more paper back to you.
#3. Don’t order more campaign product than you need.
No company wants to run out of the product they need for their direct mail campaigns — such as the envelopes and the mailers themselves — and they will often order more than they actually need, just in case. While this may seem like a smart way to go about it, the fact is that most companies just end up throwing all of that extra product away. Eliminate the need for extra waste by ordering only what you need in the first place!
#4. Make your mailing list lean and mean.
It’s in your best interest to narrow down your mailing list on a regular basis, not just from the standpoint of making your campaign more environmentally friendly, but saving money and making the most out of every mailer you send. No company wants to waste their resources sending mailers to people who won’t be interested and will just throw them away. Additionally, if you don’t prune your list every once in a while, you might be sending mailers to someone who has moved, or you could be sending multiple mailers to one address. Auditing your mailing list and doing more targeted research for each reader will also help you send them better, more personalized offers that they are more likely to act on. The bottom line is, it’s important to ensure that your readers actually want to get the mail that you are sending them. If you don’t narrow your list down every once in a while, you’ll only waste paper and money.
#5. Get your readers involved!
Last but not least, it’s always a great idea to get your readers involved in your efforts to go green. As we mentioned in our last blog, this could go a long way towards improving your company’s reputation. Here are a few strategies to help you get your readers involved:
- Ask them to recycle – Most people know that they can recycle newspaper, but they don’t often realize that they can recycle almost everything else they get in the mail as well. At Worcester Envelope Company, we are proud to be a part of the “Please Recycle” campaign, and we can put the “Please Recycle” logo on any recyclable materials we print for you.
- Encourage them to bring the mailer back – One great way to ensure that your mailers will be recycled is to encourage your readers to bring them back to you. Offer them a discount on a product or service if they have the mailer with them. Not only will this method put the ball back into your own court for recycling your mailers, but it will also help you sell more goods and services.
- Help them plant a tree – Get the word out about your efforts to do your part for the environment, and while you’re at it, help you readers do their part too by putting in some seeds so that they can plant their own tree.
- Have a recycling day – Partner up with your local recycling company and hold a recycling day at your facility. This is an excellent PR move that will not only help you to ensure that more of your own mailers get recycled, but will also help to get the word out about who you are, what you do and your efforts to go green.
Turn to Worcester Envelope Company for a greener, more effective direct mail marketing campaign.
As you can see, there are lots of ways that you can make your direct mail marketing campaign more environmentally friendly, and the best part is that many of these strategies can be immensely beneficial for your business in other ways as well. At Worcester Envelope Company, we can help you design and print envelopes that demand to be opened, and with our custom direct mail solutions, you can completely tailor your envelopes for your campaign and your needs. Visit us online today to learn more about what we can do for you and your campaign, and contact us for your free product quote!