Love letters are perfect for Valentine’s Day, but there are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind when writing one.
Love letters are so romantic, but you don’t have to be Shakespeare in order to write a love letter that will impress your special someone. With a little help from the experts at Worcester Envelope Company, you can write a letter that will express your feelings and weaken the knees of anyone lucky enough to receive it. When you know a few dos and don’ts of love letter writing, it makes it easy to write a love letter, even if you aren’t especially sensitive or poetic. Here are the dos and don’ts of writing love letters.
- Think about how you want your loved one to feel when reading it – Would you like them to feel flattered, sexy, appreciated or adored? Whatever feeling you are going for, keep that in mind when writing your love letter.
- Make a list of the things you love about your partner – Lists are wonderful because they don’t require a lot of fancy words, and no one needs to know what iambic pentameter is or how to write a haiku in order to make a list. You just need to know what makes you love your significant other!
- Write your letter by hand – Writing out letters by hand makes them more personal and shows the receiver that you care enough to take the time to write them out. Since love letters are meant to be personal, you shouldn’t de-personalize them by typing them out!
- Use special paper and personalized envelopes – Love letters are special as it is, regardless of what you write them on, but you can make your love letter even more special by writing it on a nice piece of stationery. Don’t forget to put your love letter in a custom printed envelope!
- Put your love letter in the mail – Love letters are just that, letters, which means that you should send them in the mail! Even if you live with the person you are writing to, you can still address the envelope and stick it in the mailbox for them, just do so after the mail has already arrived so that you don’t confuse your mail carrier.
- Be afraid to get in touch with your mushy side – For some of us, it’s not so easy to share our deepest emotions and feelings, but that is the entire point of sending a love letter. Even if you feel cheesy, getting in touch with your mushy side will help to make your love letter romantic.
- Send the letter via email – Love letters are tangible, lasting memories that your loved one can hold onto and look at whenever they need a pick-me-up, but emails can easily be deleted and lost in the crowd. Plus, you can’t spray your favorite cologne on an email!
- Forget to mention the little things – When you’re in love with someone, everything they do, from how they tuck their hair behind their ears to how they look when they are sound asleep, can make you fall in love with them all over again. Don’t keep those things to yourself; include them in your love letter!
- Mention the negatives – No one is perfect, and even when you’re in love with someone, it’s still possible to see their flaws. You shouldn’t bring up their flaws or tell them that you love them in spite of them in your love letter. Love letters are meant to focus on the positives.
- Try to talk like someone else – When writing a love letter, it’s all too easy to overutilize the thesaurus in order to find more romantic ways to say things, but you’re loved one loves you and wants to hear from you, not a 13th-century poet! Be yourself and write your love letter in your own voice.
For some, writing a love letter can be an intimidating prospect, but when you keep these dos and don’ts in mind, it makes the entire process that much easier. At Worcester Envelope Company, we have the bulk envelopes you need to send a love letter this Valentine’s Day and any other time you are feeling romantic. Shop with us online today!